Friday, January 1, 2010

More on my New Year thoughts

My core competence curriculum is something I drew up for myself a few months ago -- what are my priorities, what does it feel important to me to be successful at?

I came up with a basic list:

* a warm, welcoming home
* 4 levels of health (physical, spiritual, mental, emotional)
* community -- reaching out to and connecting with the folks around me
* music
* homeschooling
* general competence (having basic life skills, getting through my ToDo list, keeping our lives running smoothly)
and I broke self-education down into 2 sub-sections:
* homeschooling college for myself
* research, increasing my level of general informedness

These are at the center of any vision I have of a good life. I'm not even halfway there, yet, but I'm content to move along in babysteps.


I also worked up a list of my core values:
* voluntary simplicity
* social justice (in a day-to-day way this covers mostly fair trade issues and voting with my dollars, but also more politically-active issues)
* environmental sustainability
* slow food
* hunger issues

And those are at the center of any socially responsible life, for me. I'm less than halfway there, on this list. I am trying not to make myself nuts with it, though -- doing something is better than nothing, and if I let myself get overwhelmed I'll just hibernate entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment