Thursday, December 18, 2008

Welcome!

This isn't the first journal I've kept, not by a long shot. I've been journaling for almost as long as I've been writing, in the most basic pencil-to-paper sense. And in the back of my head there's certainly always the idea that someone, down the line, may find and read the diary, and learn more about me than I tend to share, face-to-face (I usually imagine my daughter, or her daughter, or even *her* daughter, coming across old, yellowed pages, covered in my scrawl, and finding it so odd to see that Mom/Grandma/Great-Grandma was ever so shy/cranky/romantic/bizarre). But with a paper journal there's always, also, the sense that I have the option of tearing out the page, or just tossing the whole book, years before there's a chance of anyone reading it. Not so much, here.

This isn't even the first online journal I've kept. I keep in touch with one group of friends over on LJ, and recently dipped my toes into twitter and facebook, as a way to keep in touch with other friends. But those are tools for keeping in touch with people I already know, who already know, more or less, how my mind works. Keeping a journal that's going to be open to anyone who might wander by... It feels like a stranger's reading over my shoulder while I type. Not *bad*, but disconcerting. I imagine I'll get over that, as I go.

In the meantime, what else am I up to? At the moment I'm at the school, setting everybody up with their own journals, while making maps and a map legend with Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment