Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy New Year!

I almost never do resolutions, these days. I prefer to examine my priorities, to see if those priorities have shifted since the last time I sat with this question, and to consider the question of how well my choices reflect those priorities.

But this year, in light of the extent to which I let the school take over my energy, time, and attention, I've decided to make it a resolution to fully embrace my Hobbityness. I am not, and never have been, a career-focused person -- I do my best to do a good job at anything I take on, but when it comes down to it, family, friends, home, my community, an ongoing love of learning, and my spiritual practices are the center of my life.

My official priorities reflect that: health and fitness, a warm welcoming home, community, self-ed, music, competence, adventure.

The Hobbity resolution is really a continuation of the focus on simple pleasures that I'd had going on for a few months, last year. So far this week, I had a nice New Year's Eve nap, a pleasantly lowkey evening playing board games with a couple friends, a holiday feast with my little family, a lovely little New Moon retreat with my daughter, and a really delightfully cozy day of leftovers and quiet reading. I'm gnawing on the question of how to maintain balance and health and simplicity and mindfulness once school is open again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment