Thursday, September 11, 2014

I started the following post right before school started, ran out of time to finish it, and then dumped water on my laptop turning it into a very expensive paperweight. I totally forgot that of course the site would have saved what I'd written up. So consider this the perspective of the very start of September...
-------------------------------

Last week was Staff Enrichment Week. We practiced mindfulness techniques, reflected on last year, went over and updated a variety of staff policies, gave each other workshops on different tools we learned about at various professional conferences last year, practiced our conflict resolution skills, planned the first week of school, discussed the feedback we'd gotten from students and parents last year, had a workshop on how to be more awesome mentors and how our mentor program will change this year... Oh, and got certified in first aid and CPR.

We ended the week with a quick and dirty brainstorm of everything else that needs to be done or decided before the first day of school, and I'm going to be spending the next couple days getting my part of that gargantuan list taken care of

Friday we managed to fit in a really lovely interlude with a group of our homeschool friends. A picnic at the park, sitting under the trees by the water -- moms at one table, teens at their own table, having their own conversation, sometimes wandering off to other parts of the park. Such a very different experience from when we all started hanging out, 8 or 9 or 10 years ago.

Saturday was a coming of age ceremony for a young friend of ours. It's the third one I've attended, and the first one I didn't lead or help lead. I love that every one has been so different, reflecting the personality of each individual young woman, and the traditions of each family.

I'm working almost every waking moment, right now. That should end with the first day of school, and I should be able to shift into the rhythms and daily routines I've planned out. I hope.

This work is... It's the thing I want to spend the rest of my working years doing. It's deeply satisfying and meaningful to me. But I'm really done with it taking over my waking hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment