Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The days are running together, as we get closer and closer to the first day of school. Yesterday I had a brief lunch with dear friends celebrating S's birthday, and the rest of the day was spent kicking ass on work stuff.

Lunch was the definition of indulgence. Carving out an hour or two to sit in a cozy room made even cozier by the time and effort our gracious hostess had put into laying out a beautiful, nourishing feast. Her home has such an intentional, harmonious energy to it, and is such a pleasure to visit, and every single guest brought something wonderful to the table (literally and figuratively). I had to consciously lay aside all the things I brought with me into the space (the Getting $@%# Done mindset I've been cultivating for work, and the kind of rowdy, mischievous, smartass energy I'd been carrying around with me in my downtime, this week), and settle into the conversation and community, but once I did it made for such a delightfully warm and relaxed interlude in the day.

Work was more complicated, but just as enjoyable. I have many flaws, and many things with which I struggle, but I am immensely proud of and satisfied with the work I've been doing for the school. Yesterday I absolutely *reveled* in beating and wrangling and kneading and cajoling the administrative structure of the school into a shape that can reliably support the needs of the students and the whole community well into the future. By the end of the day I was snarling and growling and keening with the rush of power and the visceral thrill of victory that came from grappling with work that is challenging, satisfying, and that uses all my favorite skills. I want to curl up on top of the work I produced, yesterday, like a dragon curling up on top of its hoard, or a great cat yowling over a successful kill.

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice having you all over. I enjoyed reading your description and perspective. xo

    ReplyDelete