Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy October?

This has not been an awesome homeschooling week. I've been in a bad mood -- angry, sad, discontented -- things are stressful as we prepare for a hectic October, we're missing some of the social activities we were doing last year, and while it's usually wonderful to come back to our routines after a week away from them, this week we never quite managed to get back into the groove of things.

I volunteered at an anti-bullying event, and Joe and Sarah spent most of the day at a Pokemon event. Tomorrow's one of our family days, a day we reserve for stuff we all enjoy doing together -- no rushing around to social obligations or vegging out mindlessly in front of separate screens. I'm hoping a deliberate, cozy day will be just what we need to help get everything moving in the right direction.

My online time has grown out of control again. I'm thinking of taking a break from several of my usual sites until I'm feeling more even-keeled.

2 comments:

  1. Hey...hugs. Are you still in transition with food? That can be very tough on the system...body and mind. Keep breathing, and if you can, try to let go of "shoulds" and even, to some extent, "goals".

    Maybe this is a storm before some calm. Hating uncomfortable limbo (the types of emotions you are describing), the Voice (super ego as described by the author of Women Food and God) with its unhelpful, critical, judgmental chatter, and feeling like a true and real potential is not meeting met...I get all of that and have been there.

    Think about where you've been...and where you want to be and are headed. So good, right?

    Think about your partner and kid. So good, right?

    These are fantastic foundations. From what I have heard from you, these things are going to help you get through the tough times.

    The financial stuff sucks, and for some, turning forty sucks. It's a natural time to reflect on the first "half" and look towards the second "half". For me, it was a psychic kick in the pants. I felt very positive about it at the time, but the following five years were far from a piece of cake.

    There was much painful soul searching, much clinging to denial, much trying so hard and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere.

    I hope it gets easier soon. I am here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Elizabeth. It's so nice to find another homeschooling mumma:) Thanks so much for popping over to my blog. It's a pleasure being here and reading about your homeschooling life. I look forward to coming back again soon. Kind regards Kim (feather & nest). PS You have a new follower;)

    ReplyDelete